GAMBIA’S HEALTHCARE SITUATIONAL REPORT REVEALS ABOUT A COLLAPSED HEALTHCARE SYSTEM; MASSIVE CORRUPTION; LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY IN HEALTH PROJECTS; MINISTER OMAR SEY MISLEADING HIS STAFF OVER THE NIAMINA DANKUNKU FENCE PROJECT; HEALTH MINISTRY EMAIL CHAIN INTERCEPTED!
REPORT ON THE VISITATION OF HEALTH FACILITIES IN THE UPPER REGION, CENTRAL RIVER REGION AND THE LOWER REGION FROM THE 25TH MARCH 2015 TO 27TH MARCH 2015 BY A TEAM FROM THE ACCOUNTS SECTION OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL WELFARE
BY ANNIE CARROL, HEAD OF ACCOUNTS AT MINISTRY OF HEALTH & SOCIAL WELFARE
REPORT ON THE VISTATION OF THE HEALTH FACILITIES IN THE UPPER RIVER REGION, THE CENTRAL RIVER REGION AND THE LOWER RIVER REGION FROM THE 25TH MARCH 2015 TO 27TH MARCH 2015 BY A TEAM FROM THE ACCOUNTS SECTION OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH & SOCIAL WELFARE.
The team that left the Ministry of Health Social & Welfare for the visitation of the health facilities in the Upper River Region, the Central River Region and the Lower River Region comprises of Ms. Annie Carrol, Head of Accounts, Mr. Momodou Jallow, Accounts Clerk and Mr. Jatta Jallow, Accounts Clerk.
UPPER RIVER REGION (URR)
RHT AND ACCOMODATION:
In the RHT and accommodation, we were welcomed by the Regional Director URR Mr. Ebrima Jaiteh and his Administrator Mr. Ebrima Jobe.
They have fifteen health facilities and the Medical Research Council (MRC) in the URR.
The challenges that they are encountering are as follows:
- They are requesting for an incidental imprest of D10,000.00 to be used when unexpected expenses arises.
- There have a faulty giant photocopier. They are requesting for a new giant photocopier to the RHT office.
- They want the office to be tiled.
- They want sliding windows in the office.
- They want the MOH&SW to supply them with at least two cartridges every quarter.
- The Offices and the Staff Quarters need complete renovations and rehabilitation. They are in a very poor state currently.
- The fencing at the RHT URR is incomplete. I spoke to Mr. Thomas Mendy and he said his materials are at the RHT and he will be going to the RHT URR to complete the fencing.
- The Social Security and Housing Finance Corporation wants to build into the RHT URR. On arrival I informed the Honourable Omar Sey. He said he will take immediate action.
The Staff Quarters at the RHT URR needs tiling, roofing, painting, sliding windows and six additional fans.
The Director’s and the Doctor’s bedroom are leaking.
Mr. Manneh’s Drug Office needs one big fridge for the drugs. The fridge should have a freezer chamber on top and a fridge at the bottom.
The Director wants a fridge in his office.
They need six air conditioners for the Senior Staff Quarters.
BASSE HEALTH CENTRE (BHC)
On arrival at the BHC we were welcomed by the nursing Officer Pa Seedy Jarju.
He informed us the MOH&SW is only feeding the patients but they are not receiving any other funding from the MOH&SW.
They are requesting that the Petty Cash imprest from the Drug Revolving Fund (DRF) should be increased from D2,000.00 to D5,000.00. This will help them to take care of incidental and small expenses for example to buy bulbs etc.
They want electrical wiring to be done immediately for the entire BHC.
The Anaesthetic machine is faulty. The doors and windows at the theatre need immediate maintenance.
They are encountering the challenge to transport the full oxygen cylinders from Banjul to Basse. The cars that are at BHC are small and old.
They want a galvanised water tank. The water tank currently in use is old and leaking.
The Mortuary at BHC need the following:
- 2 Air Conditioners
- A new door for the mortuary
- The windows should be changed to sliding windows
- The entire BHC needs painting.
- They need 15 large dust bins for BHC
- They need plumbering works to done all over BHC.
The Kitchen needs the following:
- One large freezer to keep meat, fish etc.
- One Laundry Machine
They want the drug store to be extended with three new air conditioners.
They need 2 New Generators.
They want the soak away at BHC and the Staff Quarters to be clean immediately.
The Security House needs complete renovations.
They have trees on top of roofs that need to be cut down immediately.
The 8 Staff Quarters need immediate rehabilitation and renovation. They are in a very poor state currently.
They want a fence around the Staff Quarters.
They want a door for the Staff Quarters at BHC.
YORRO BAWOL HEALTH CENTRE (YBHC)
On arrival at YBHC we were welcome by Mr. David Daye.
The needs and challenges of YBHC are as follows:
- They want a complete renovation and rehabilitation of YBHC.
- They need 1 new generator.
- They want new doors. Almost all the doors at YBHC are broken.
- They need ceiling fans at YBHC
- The Drug Store needs ceiling fans, sliding windows and a fridge.
- They need tables and chairs for the nurses at YBHC.
- They need ceiling fans for the laboratory.
- They need brooms and sanitary materials for the entire URR Health Facilities.
STAFF QUARTERS AT YBHC:
The following needs to be done at YBHC Staff Quarters:
- They need a plumber to do all the plumbering works at YBHC.
- They need a fence at the Staff Quarters.
- They need sliding windows. The windows at YBHC are currently broken.
- The kitchen needs complete renovation and rehabilitation.
- They need 4 ceiling fans.
- The mortuary needs sliding windows, water facilities and air conditioners.
- The store needs sliding windows.
- The driver quarters needs water facilities, sewage, doors, sliding windows and electricity.
- The proposed Doctor’s House need the following; 1 gas cooker, 1 bed and mattress, 1 fridge, 1 air conditioner, sliding windows and doors.
CENTRAL RIVER REGION (CRR)
RHT AND ACCOMODATION:
The CRR is the biggest health region in The Gambia. CRR is covering two river banks. CRR has 11 Districts, 679 villages, 9 Public Health Facilities, 11 village clinics, 2 NGO clinics, 158 village health workers, 242 Traditional Birth Attendants and 17 CHN.
When we arrived at the RHT CRR we were welcomed by Mr. Michael Mendy the Administrator at RHT CRR.
The challenges of the RHT CRR are as follows:
- They want the RHT Office to be extended to accommodate the new Staff.
- The complete renovation and rehabilitation of the RHT Office including tiling, sliding windows, painting, electrical, plumbering, roofing (the Asbestos Roofs should be changed very urgently in all the health facilities in CRR as we all know it is a very high health risk).
- They need shelves for the RHT Office.
- They need an incidental imprest of D10,000.00.
- They need 6 air conditioners for the offices.
All the Staff Quarters at the RHT CRR needs immediate complete renovations and rehabilitation including roofing, plumbering, painting, electrical, sliding windows, doors, 19 ceiling fans, 5 air conditioners, furniture (bed, chairs and cupboards) 9 refrigerators, and 6 additional Staff Quarters.
They need a store for other materials.
They need complete renovation and rehabilitation of the Guest House including air conditioners, electrical wiring, sliding windows plumbering, kitchen, tiling, doors, and drainage.
They need a fence around the RHT.
They need toilet facilities in the RHT and in the Staff Quarters.
Mr. Jaligah Nget, the Regional Public Health Officer’s accommodation needs an urgent renovation and rehabilitation before the rainy season 2015.
The Director’s accommodation does not have a toilet and a bathroom.
They need a fridge for the Administrator’s accommodation.
The Resource Centre needs all the amenities to make it like a standard conference room.
They need food for the following health facilities: Brikamaba, Kudang, Dankunku, Chamen, Samikarantaba, Jangjanbureh.
On arrival at Bansang Hospital we were welcomed by Mr. Baba Jeng, the Chief Executive Officer and Mr. Baboucarr Saine, the Administrator.
We had a meeting with them. The following are the challenges of Bansang Hospital:
- They requested for the February 2015 and March 2015 Other Charges that were not paid to them. I told them we did not receive them from MOFEA but they can write to MOH&SW requesting for them and MOH&SW can forward their request to MOFEA for necessary action to be taken.
- They want the Development Budget 2015 for Bansang Hospital to be sent to them. They received the 2014 Development Budget.
- MOH&SW owes Bansang Hospital D200,000 for the renovation and refurbishment of the accommodation for Dr. Schegun Grey-Johnson.
- They want the old equipment at Bansang Hospital to be changed. Mr. Ignitus Baldeh can give the MOH&SW with the priority list of the old equipment that needs to be replaced.
- Bansang Hospital’s Other Charges for 2015 should be D1,387,170.31 as stated in their 2015 Budget and not D800,000.00 that they are currently receiving.
- The arrears on the Cash Power for the Cuban Doctor needs to be paid.
- They are requesting that the CEO of the hospitals should be invited to attend the Senior Management Team (SMT) meetings at MOH&SW.
- They are requesting for the Board Members of Bansang Hospital to be revised to include a Legal Practitioner and a member from the MOFEA as the Financial Representative.
- The reagents for Bansang Hospital the stock is very low. The priority list can be obtained from Mr. Ignitus Baldeh.
- They need 3 big size laundry machines.
- They need Physiotherapy equipment.
The CEO and the Administrator took us around the hospital. The hospital is clean, the structures are good and the members of Staff are polite. Mr. Baba Jeng and his team are doing a very good job at the hospital and I believe with more assistance from MOH&SW they can do better.
DANKUNKU HEALTH CENTRE (DHC)
On arrival at Dankunku we were welcomed by the Officer In Charge Mr. Alhagie Marena and his team.
The fencing at DHC was still in progress. PS Taal told me that Mr. Badara Mboob has completed the fencing in Dankunku in 2014 but he was not paid. We should not delay his payment. The Honourable Minister confirmed that the fencing in Dankunku has been completed and it was a Presidential directive and the fencing in Brikamaba was in progress. To our surprise when we arrived in Dankunku the fencing was incomplete and we have paid Mr. Badara Mboob D1,100,000.00.
The challenges at DHC are as follows:
- They need 6 additional Staff Quarters.
- They need complete renovation and rehabilitation of the Staff Quarters including roofing, doors, sliding windows, roofing, cracks in wall plumbering, and painting.
- They need 2 batteries for the Solar Pannels and 1 Inverter.
- They want the old clinic to be converted to 3 Single Staff Quarters.
- They want a new water tank.
- They need a new hand pump.
- They want the contractor to increase the size of the main gate of DHC. Mr. Michael Mendy informed the supervisor on the ground.
- They need a new borehole.
- They need a fridge to store the drugs.
- The Officer in Charge Residence needs a fridge and an air conditioner.
- They are currently receiving 60 litres of fuel for the generator but they need 120 litres per month.
- They need a new mosque.
- They need in the Accounts Clerk’s Office table, chair, cupboard and the maintenance of the roof.
- DHC need furniture like table, chairs, etc. for four offices.
- The Officer In Charge Office needs chair, computer, printer, table, television, printer, cupboard and refrigerator.
- The Officer in Charge and the Administrator want to be included in the CUG.
- They want in the wards beds, bedsheets, ceiling fans , dressings materials ( Big and Small), drugs and oral antibiotics, anti-hypertensive drugs.
- They need sanitary materials like brooms, rakes etc.
- They need the following for the Staff Quarters beds, tables, mattresses etc.
- They want the toilet facilities in the office and the Staff Quarters to be change.
The Staff at the DHC are all male Staff and I believe they should be provided with their needs so that they can be motivated. This will enable them to perform their duties effectively and efficiency.
BRIKAMA BA HEALTH CENTRE
On arrival at the Brikama Ba Health Centre we were welcome by Ms. Rose Mendy.
The fencing at the Brikama Ba Health Centre has not commenced yet. There is only a mark on the ground.
The Staff Quarters needs complete renovations and rehabilitations including water, electrical, roofing, sliding windows, etc.
They need additional 6 Staff Quarters.
They are currently receiving 100 litres of fuel for the generator for the month. They are requesting for 500 litres for the month. This will enable them to have electricity during the day and at night.
They have no drugs. For example: dressing materials, vaccine extractor, surgical drugs etc.
They have inadequate equipment to perform their duties.
They need a Pharmacist and 2 Data Entry Clerks and a store keeper.
They need food for the patients.
They need an incidental imprest for unexpected expenditures.
They need a Solar system for the laboratory.
They need an additional Haemoglobin machine.
They need a furnish office for the OIC.
They need a changing room.
They need 1 fridge and 1 television.
They need the outpatient ward to be expanded.
They need ceiling fans, beds, mattresses, dust bins, furniture in the wards.
The soak away/drainage system needs immediate maintenance.
The post natal ward needs to be expanded and they need 8 fans in the ward.
They need tables and bed side lockers for the patients.
The EPI Unit needs an additional fridge, tables, chairs, and a motorbike.
They need 3 wheel chairs.
They want new Staff Quarters to be built by the water tanker.
They want useable toilets and bathroom facilities.
The soak away and other plumbering activities needs very urgent attention.
Editors note: The remaining chain of emails coming from the Ministry of Heath would be published in our subsequent editions. Our special thanks and appreciation to our able sources on the ground for making these vital documents available to our readership. Keep up the fantastic job folks. Information is power. We thank you for your attention.