Gambia Democracy Fund – GDF, would like to thank all our donors who dug deep into their pockets to donate towards events that have been ongoing since 4/14/16. With every movement, it is the will of the people that makes it successful. During this fundraising marathon, we have seen people donate multiple times! GDF in collaboration with Gambians, sought your help to stand up against the murder, beating and maiming of our INNOCENT brothers and sisters because PEACEFUL demonstration is a fundamental human right.
Thus far, GDF has disbursed funds as follows:
- On 4/18/2016, GDF donated $500 to UDP. This amount was an urgent disbursement that came out of funds not associated with the current fundraising drive.
- On 4/18/2016 GDF disbursed $5000 to UDP
- On 4/25/16, GDF disbursed $5,500 to UDP
- On 5/11/16, GDF disbursed $5000 to UDP
- In April, 2016, GYU requested funding to mobilize youths in The Gambia. GDF approved the request but GYU later notified us that they no longer needed the funds requested. We look forward to working with GYU in the future.
- The funds issued to UDP were used to support innocent victims and their families. A GDF member said on one of the radios last week “I felt very proud to know that the money I donated helped families.” We are quite confident our donors felt the same sentiment.
This is to inform the general public that every time UDP submits requests for disbursement of funds, GDF convenes emergency meetings to debate and vote for the release of funds. Our methodology includes asking UDP what the funds being requested will be expended towards. The reason behind this strategy is simply because GDF DOES NOT AND WILL NOT support raising funds for activities that involve violence. Thus, be rest assured that your funds will be used towards peaceful events. Although The Yahya Jammeh’s government is not democratic and has instilled violence on Gambian demonstrators, GDF strongly believes that the methods used in our fight through peace will prevail at the end. Your continuous help with donations will make our goal of restoring democracy in The Gambia come to fruition.
As you are aware of the legal ramifications 12/30/14 comrades are facing, Gambians in the Diaspora reached out and collectively agreed that GDF should organize a fundraising drive to support the young families they will be leaving behind. GDF must make it clear that these families never requested for help. Gambians saw a need and decided to feel that void. Therefore, on Saturday, May 21, 2016 WE ARE INVITING YOUR MEDIUM to join a fundraising simulcast from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Although the donors hold most of the success to GDF’s ability to successfully raise funds, we would like to use this opportunity to thank all the Diaspora Radio networks who have been with GDF since the beginning. Like the saying goes, “time is money” and the endless hours your medium expended on GDF events is worthy of commendation. Whenever we reached out, you have willingly posted our announcements and participated in simulcasts. Thank you!
PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE participation in Saturday’s simulcast by replying to the message containing this press release.
We pray for a Gambia where our people will live without fear. We hope for a Gambia where our people will live peacefully.
Gambia Democracy Fund – GDF