THE REPUBLIC OF THE GAMBIA
POSITION: VICE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE GAMBIA
OPEN TO: ALL INTERESTED GAMBIANS BETWEEN THE AGES OF 35 AND 65 YRS
CLOSING DATE: 15TH MAY 2017
The Vice President is the second highest official in the Executive branch of Government and is mandated to support the President in nation building, economic development and political stability. Having waited for more than three months without a Vice President, the people of the Gambia have finally decided to seek for eligible and qualified applicants to fill the vacant position of Vice President of the Republic.
The successful candidate is expected to perform national and international duties on behalf of the President, safeguard the Constitution of the Gambia while ensuring freedom of the Press and fairness in the application of the laws to all the citizens of the country regardless of tribe, religion, ethnicity and political affiliation.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The ideal candidate is expected to carry out executive, ceremonial, advisory, parliamentary and administrative functions. In the conduct of these functions, the VP will be guided by the following objectives:
- Pursuit and promotion of political stability and confidence in a democratic system of government;
- Promotion of peace and order, safety and welfare in coordination with the security council and law enforcement agencies;
- Pursuit of economic goals of the country in local, national and international trade as well as harmonizing the country’s bilateral and multi-lateral relations with donor partners;
- Provide administrative and technical support to the President in the implementation and monitoring of the various programs for the different government agencies on policy matters;
- Identify and coordinate with non-government and socio-economic groups and people’s organization as possible partners in the identification and implementation of government programs.
- Help the President in ensuring that laws are faithfully enforced and executed.
- Avoid interfering in the way GSM operators are using the international gateway to milk the economy
Any candidate who is above the constitutionally required age limit of 65 years, will not be considered. Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Any falsification of qualifications, manufacturing false birth certificates or overcooked achievements may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
EDUCATION: At least a University degree in Management, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, Law, Project Management or International Relations is required. Advanced degree in any of the above-mentioned disciplines will be a succinct advantage.
EXPERIENCE: At least ten years progressive experience in Public or Business Administration, Academia, NGO, or International Organization is required. The ideal candidate is expected to be a “Working VP” and not a “Political VP”. No military background or training is required for this post.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must be able to solve problems independently and provide recommendations for fixing it. Proficiency with the teachings of both the Holy Koran and the Bible. Must possess the ability to work harmoniously with people from all religious bodies and with different political affiliations with the ability to promote gender parity in all aspects of Gambian lives. It is expected that the incumbent will have sound knowledge of the Constitution to guide and advise the President on all national and development policy matters. Must be computer literate and ready to demonstrate the highest ethical standards and provide equitable treatment to all Gambians without regard to tribe, religion, sex, age, political affiliation, disability or sexual orientation.
LANGUAGE: Fluency in Aku, Fula, Jola, Mandinka, Manjago, Serehule, Serere and Wolof with excellent spoken and written English and French.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- Willingness to travel in the national interest without any payment of per diem
- Determining successful candidacy will have to depend on consideration of nepotism, conflicts of interest, tribalism and religious tolerance.
- Any candidate who has served as Cabinet Minister in the Jammeh Government from 1994 to 2017 is not eligible to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications anticipated to be received for this important position, we will only contact applicants under serious consideration. Thank you for your understanding.
WHERE TO APPLY: The Vetting Committee, Office of The President, State House. Fajara, Bakau. Email: email@example.com .